Pre-game parachute jump, Ralph Wilson Stadium, 8 September 2011. More photography by Alan Kotok
Technology News and Literature provides quality news reporting on the intersection of science, technology, business, and public policy. This site provides links to current and previous work, including online services, books, articles, white papers, and photography.
- New e-book: Cienfuegos Rainbow: Observations of a 21st Century Cuba. April 2013. An eight-day study tour of Cuba became an eye-opening experience that highlighted a country struggling to feed and house its population in the 21st century, while stuck in a confrontational cold war past. Alan and Sharon Kotok describe their experiences as part of a group of University of Iowa alumni who visited Cuba in January 2013.
- Seeking Alpha. Walgreen's Mobile Strategy Scores With Retail Customers. 30 July 2013. Walgreen's mobile strategy is paying off in higher sales volume for mobile customers than store-only customers, but wellness apps are a different world for a company that's still essentially a drug store chain.
- Seeking Alpha. Celgene Expanding R&D Portfolio Into Regenerative Medicine. 8 July 2013. Biopharmaceutical company Celgene Corporation is venturing beyond its biologic therapy pipeline into tissue engineering and regenerative medicine in a series of deals with the biotech Tengion Inc.
- Seeking Alpha. Stratasys Prepares For 3-D Synthetic Biomaterials. 24 June 2013. Enterprise 3-D printer developer Stratasys made headlines with its acquisition of MakerBot, but in that same week the company collaborated with an MIT research group that used 3-D printing to create synthetic bone matter from a complex computer model.
- Seeking Alpha. St. Jude Medical Boosts Anti-Pain Portfolio In $40M Deal. 9 June 2013. Medical technology company St. Jude Medical bought a piece of pain management system developer Spinal Modulation and got an exclusive license to market its innovative neurostimulation device worldwide.
- Seeking Alpha. Clearing The Air On The Sanofi-Regeneron Asthma Drug Trial. 28 May 2013. While the findings of a clinical trial testing a new asthma drug by Sanofi and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals are medically and financially promising, the science behind the study suggests some limitations, yet also other opportunities for the drug.
- Seeking Alpha. Shire's New Rare Disease Deal: Interesting Science Meets Unique Financing. 13 May 2013. The biotechnology company Nimbus Discovery announced an agreement with the specialty pharmaceutical developer Shire plc that combines an innovative technology for drug discovery with a novel financing method to move that technology forward.
- PublicDiplomacy.org. Cuba -- Ripe for a Public Diplomacy Initiative. 2 February 2013. The U.S. has an opportunity to make direct people-to-people connections that can pay off in Cuba's post-Castro future, but only for a brief time before others beat us to it.