Photography class at University of the Arts in Havana, Cuba. January 2013. More photography by Alan Kotok
Technology News and Literature provides quality news reporting on the intersection of science, technology, business, and public policy. This site provides links to current and previous work, including online services, books, articles, white papers, and photography.
- New e-book: Cienfuegos Rainbow: Observations of a 21st Century Cuba. April 2013. An eight-day study tour of Cuba became an eye-opening experience that highlighted a country struggling to feed and house its population in the 21st century, while stuck in a confrontational cold war past. Alan and Sharon Kotok describe their experiences as part of a group of University of Iowa alumni who visited Cuba in January 2013.
- Seeking Alpha. Shire's New Rare Disease Deal: Interesting Science Meets Unique Financing. 13 May 2013. The biotechnology company Nimbus Discovery announced an agreement with the specialty pharmaceutical developer Shire plc that combines an innovative technology for drug discovery with a novel financing method to move that technology forward.
- PublicDiplomacy.org. Cuba -- Ripe for a Public Diplomacy Initiative. 2 February 2013. The U.S. has an opportunity to make direct people-to-people connections that can pay off in Cuba's post-Castro future, but only for a brief time before others beat us to it.
- Seeking Alpha. Biogen Idec Retools After ALS Drug Trial Failure. 6 January 2013. Biogen Idec (BIIB) encountered a setback this week, when a late-stage clinical trial of its drug to treat amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS], also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, failed to show therapeutic benefits compared to a placebo.
- Seeking Alpha. GlaxoSmithKline Positioning For Clinical Trial Data Advantage. 26 November 2012. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) made a key move into an industry-leading position to reform the clinical trial process that tests new drugs on human subjects by making available to outside researchers detailed data from its own clinical trials.
- SoftXML. Print Advertising Uses XML and E Business to Do Business. 23 November 2012. Newspaper and magazines may print their media products, but they transact their advertising business through XML and electronic commerce with the AdsML specification.
- American Diplomacy journal, November 2012. Book review. Public Opinion and International Intervention: Lessons from the Iraq War, Edited by Richard Sobel, Peter Furia, and Bethany Barratt, Potomac Books, 2012. Even majorities of the public in countries fighting the war in Iraq disapproved of the venture, which took its toll on relations with the U.S.
- SoftXML. XML Tames the Exchange of Investment Research. 20 October 2012. The Research Information Exchange Markup Language can't guarantee a good investment decision, but it can help financial decision-makers find the information they need.
- SoftXML. XML Standardizes, Simplifies European Public Agency Procurement. 23 September 2012. The Pan-European Public Procurement OnLine (PEPPOL) initiative aims to help companies large and small in Europe do e-business with any public agency in any EU country, with much of its technology based on XML.