Photos by Alan Kotok are on display at the National Press Club in its 16th annual member photography show, through 30 September 2015, in the club lobby, 13th floor, 529 14th Street NW, Washington, D.C.
Technology News and Literature provides quality news reporting on the intersection of science, technology, business, and public policy. This site provides links to current and previous work, including online services, books, articles, white papers, and photography.
- Science & Enterprise profiled and Alan Kotok interviewed in ACI Scholarly Blog Index, 2 July 2015.
- LinkedIn. Making Bootstraps: A Mid-Career Break to Boost Wage Growth. 15 March 2015. Universal Sabbatical for Advancement grants would be modeled after the G.I. Bill and provide workers with a mid-career break for a year to build skills for higher-paying jobs. Also posted on Science and Technology.
- LinkedIn. Job Loyalty Revisited: Earned, not Entitled. 7 September 2014. Employers face the challenge of creating an environment where job security and career advancement are more the norm than the exception. Career advancement is something managers at all levels can provide, and often without incurring much expense.
- LinkedIn. Job Loyalty Revisited: Lessons from Market Basket. 1 September 2014. For American workers, the Market Basket story should raise a few questions about loyalty owed to an employer, and restoring some of the balance that seems weighted way in favor of the people signing pay checks.
- Seeking Alpha. Sanofi Bolsters Vaccine Business. 18 August 2014. Sanofi Pasteur, the pharmaceutical company's vaccines division, has important new releases coming up in late-stage clinical trials and for regulatory review.
- Seeking Alpha. Shire Acquisition Bolsters Its Rare, And Maybe Not-So-Rare, Disease Portfolio. 19 May 2014. The acquisition by Shire plc earlier this month of Lumena Pharmaceuticals builds Shire's already strong position in rare diseases, but the acquisition can also help Shire advance drug development programs aimed at larger populations.
- LinkedIn. My Mission: Journalists Who Love Math. 26 April 2014. For too many reporters of all kinds, covering a story with any amount of quantification seems to make them surrender to the words in a press release. I'm on a mission to change that.
- Seeking Alpha. New GlaxoSmithKline Diabetes Drug Needs Innovative Marketing Strategy. 21 April 2014. A diabetes drug approved last week for sale in the U.S. and Europe brings GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) into a new therapy field for the company, one that is both crowded and changing rapidly with the ageing of baby boomers and new directions in health care.
- E-book: Cienfuegos Rainbow: Observations of a 21st Century Cuba. April 2013. An eight-day study tour of Cuba became an eye-opening experience that highlighted a country struggling to feed and house its population in the 21st century, while stuck in a confrontational cold war past. Alan and Sharon Kotok describe their experiences as part of a group of University of Iowa alumni who visited Cuba in January 2013.